Monday, August 2, 2010

Luna Broke Her Leg

Well, I left for soccer practice this evening and everything was fine. I got home an hour later....and Luna was dead lame. We drive by the yearlings' pasture every time we go to or from home, so I always look over at them just to make sure they are alright. Well, this evening, I noticed that Luna was all by herself. She normally doesn't go anywhere with out her best bud Josephine. I turned to Mr. Cowboy and said, "Luna is lame!! On her front right!"

Now, this was all said while driving about 35 mph and heading for home. So, Mr. Cowboy said, "Oh sure! Whatever, what are you some kind of horse whisperer now? There is nothing wrong with Luna!"

He was all sorts of mad at me when I told him that she wasn't alright. He was agitated about having to go and look at her with me. I ran to the barn and got a halter, while Mr. Cowboy....started the lawn mower!!!! The man thought I was joking!! MEN!!!

I grabbed a halter, hoof pick, and some grain for the other two horses out with her, then fussed at Mr. Cowboy to get his butt over to the pasture with me. He thinks I baby my horses and over exaggerate every little thing.

Well, I was hoping that Luna just had an abscess or something like that. But when we saw her, her front right leg was hanging about 3 or 4 inches lower/longer than her other leg. Her elbow was not in the right spot at all.

We wanted to load her up in the trailer to drive her to the barn. The barn is a long walk down the road. But she wouldn't load, which wasn't a big surprise. So, I walked with her. It took me about 25 minutes to get her to the barn. It normally takes 2 or 3 minutes. I let her take lots of breaks. My FIL gave her some bute, and we put some hair and water close to her. The poor girl just wanted to lay down, but couldn't figure out how to do it.

I brushed her and sprayed her with some fly spray so she wouldn't have to worry so much about the mosquitoes. I have this small ray of hope that she might have just dislocated her shoulder??!! Maybe??? Probably not, she most likely broke it.

Luna was going to be Mr. Cowboy's project and a future playday horse for the kids. She was so laid back and easy going. A bit of a pain in the butt to lundge, but all in all she was a good girl.

I am going to be calling the vet in the morning, to see if he has a portable x-ray machine. I want to make sure it's really broken before she gets put down. Mr. Cowboy is also hoping it's just dislocated. But I am not too sure there is much they can do in either case. Dang babies, why do they have to be so rowdy.......

7 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh no! Poor Luna! Was she able to walk on it at all when you led her to the barn...or was she completely off it?

I hope it's not broken and the vet can do something to help her.

She's such a pretty girl.

So very sorry!

~Lisa

Paint Girl said...

Oh Andrea! I am so sorry to hear this!! I hope and pray it isn't broken!! She is such a sweet girl and my heart just breaks for you!
I will keep you in my thoughts!

Alex said...

Oh mY goodness, I'm so sorry for you... and sad too! What a terrible thing to have to deal with~ Positive vibes coming your way for a miracle vet visit... Good Luck!!

Mrs. Mom said...

Praying for Luna, and all y'all Andrea. Big Prayers.

Please know we're all thinking of you guys. Let us know what happens when you can.

gtyyup said...

That's terrible for you all...praying that it's not as bad as it seems. Keep us posted.

TjandMark/AKA PearlandHawkeye said...

Oh dear.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

OH NO!!!!!!!

That is terrible news! I sure hope it can be fixed. And that she's not in pain.