Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fuzzy Fillies

It's been a while since I have taken pictures of my two fillies. I can't believe they are now yearlings! Time sure flies. I am supposed to be showing them in just a few months. I may just push back that show thing until I can get them slicked down. They are so fuzzy. Luna is turning out to be quite the halter horse. She is a tank. I tell Mr. Cowboy that she looks like a halter horse that has been put in the dryer and shrunk. She is so short! I really can't wait to get Josephine really going. So far she has been sacked out and lunged a bit. We have really just walked around in a couple of circles. I do showmanship with them all the time. Josephine is really good at setting up and standing still. She even walks off really nicely. I haven't asked for a trot yet. I will work up to that. Luna on the other hand is kinda a dead head. She is lazy beyond lazy. She hates to walk off next to me. I have to practically drag her around. But she loves to stop and stand. That she will never have trouble with. My father in law will go out in a pen with them and crack a bull whip. And would you believe that Luna walks towards him. Yes! She almost got smacked in the nose once because she got too close! She loves to be rubbed all over with the bull whip. Luna stands completely still while Josephine is freaking out! Josephine has quite the wild mane! But we have worked with Josephine and now she just stands still while my father in law walks around cracking the bull whip. That training has come in handy. A few weeks ago there was this stupid little boy that lives down the road from us. That stupid little boy had some pipe insulator in his hand and was swinging it around and making it crack on the ground. I watched him from my garage as he walked right by the fillies' pasture cracking that pipe insulator on the ground. I think he was trying to see what the babies would do. But no luck, they just looked at him and went back to eating. It's really neat to see the girls not freak out at things that some other horses might think are horrible. My farrier loves to come and trim them. He says at 6 months old that they stand better than some adult horses he does. I am proud of my smart girls! They are quick learners. Josephine takes a little extra time in the learning department but nothing that is too bad. It really helps to have Josephine out with Luna. Luna is such a dead head that when something does happen to spook them, Josephine has a steady friend to fall back on. Luna normally stands still with her head up if she gets "scared". While Josephine will run around all crazy and then go stand behind Luna. Luna does get dirty. That isn't blood on her head, it's from a mineral lick they have. The lick got all gooey and when Josephine was eating it she drooled it all over Luna. I am sure Josephine has some on her too, you just can't see it. I am expecting the two girls to have a growth spurt soon. They both are butterball fat! Poor Luna probably won't get much taller than 14 hands. She has a short mom and dad. But Josephine should be pretty tall. I am hoping for a nice 16.2. But it will be okay if she only gets to 16 hands. Her mom is 16 hands tall and her sire is 16.1 hands, I think. He was taller than Pearl. It has been fun watching the girls grow up and get taller. They have been some of the nicest babies we've had here. They just have great personalities. Both girls are very social and love to be caught and brushed and lead. I just can't wait to show them! I need to start to trailer them around and tying them up at different places. That way come show day they don't freak out. I am going to be nervous enough, I don't need two nervous yearlings too. But I am pretty sure they will do fine! They are both really good girls.

14 comments:

KD said...

They are both cute, but Josephine has the most adorable sweet face.

Sheila said...

You "babies" are absolutely beautiful! And I just LOVE your photography skills! I should take lessons from you! :)

Karen said...

You know I come around just to stare at your beautiful photography, right?

Danielle Michelle said...

The gals look great! Mine is so fuzzed out (if you saw in the last post) and so awkward looking right now I don't think I'll be posting any cameo's until he sheds out this spring.

Unknown said...

such cute girls.

I think you have another pangare bay on your hands.

Midlife Mom said...

Such beautiful babies!!! Well, I guess they aren't really babies any more are they? So glad the kid didn't spook them with the thing he was banging on the ground! I don't know why people think it is fun to do that, I've seen adults go by the pasture and rev their motor especially on motorcycles. Grrrrr......

Great photography as always!!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

The babies look fantastic Andrea!

I bet you guys are really glad you decided to put them in your own pasture and take care of them. The difference really shows.

Looking forward to hearing about the shows this spring.

Mrs. Mom said...

BECG is right- the ladies look awesome! Nice job girl!!

Cant wait to see you guys showing- you're inspiring a few of us out here ;)

Squeeze the kids from us!

Grey Horse Matters said...

They are both adorable. Cant wait to see how the show season goes.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Thanks for sharing the photos of your babies. They look great! Luna certainly is built like a brick house.

What will you do to calm down Josephine's mane?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Josephine has a Tina Turner mane. Since Luna likes to stop and rest, you can make that her reward while training her. 14-hands will be nice for the kids as they are growing up.

Danielle Michelle said...

I tagged you on my blog! It's a photography tag - so go see the rules!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Nuz Muz is right. Josephine looks like she has a Tina Turner wig on. lol! Wild mane! She's a pretty girl.
I can't believe how much they have grown, too.
Thanks for the update!


~Lisa

The Wades said...

Gosh time has flown by! I remember eagerly anticipating their arrival. They're gorgeous. :)