Wednesday, January 14, 2009

When Tacking Up Takes Longer Than Riding....

My Cowpokes always ask to ride. And I get so excited when they ask to ride. So, when they ask, their Momma gets to work. We keep our horses out in a big 20 acre pasture. So, when one wants to ride, you either have to 1. walk into the pasture and get your horse, or 2. call all the horses in and hope they come. The horses will always come running if it's around feed time, but if you want to ride in the morning? Haa haa good luck getting those grubby guts to come in. That's why it's just easier to keep your horse stalled up over night. The other day Little Cowpoke wanted to ride Peanut, so I called all the horses in and they actually came running. Little Cowpoke and I brushed Peanut and then tacked him up. Tacking up a horse always takes me about 20 minutes or so. I am a firm believer in brushing before riding. That way if there are any cuts or swollen spots I will know about them. Peanut checked out okay and we ventured out to the round pen. We have not ridden Peanut in a few months, so I wasn't sure what he would do. Peanut has no idea what a round pen is. He doesn't get why I am following him around and trying to get him to warm up. He humors me, but he just doesn't get it. It seems funny to me that a horse has no idea what a round pen is, but he is about 20 years old and I am sure when he was broke out he just got ridden. None of that fancy smancy stuff. We are now at about 30 minutes and it's time for Little Cowpoke to get on. Peanut is a little "people sour". I have let him follow me around because I am worried he will "take off" into the sunset with my three year old. So, I always walk in front of him. But that makes it really hard to take pictures of my little budding Cowboy. I finally got them to walk away from me. It didn't take much effort but Little Cowpoke was being kind of silly that day. And yes my child is wearing a muscle shirt and shorts in January. And yes, that is green grass. Craziness. They then turned back to the middle. I have a really hard time trying to get Little Cowpoke to walk the entire way around the pen. Now, if you put barrels in front of the child, he will know exactly what to do, but with nothing to ride around he gets confused about riding on "the rail". They stopped in the middle and Little Cowpoke turned him around and declared that he was finished riding. I think he was in the saddle a total of 8 minutes. So, I told him he had to at least give Peanut a pat for being so dang good. And that was it. I tacked up Peanut and warmed him up for a total of 30 minutes for a ride that was over in 8 minutes. At least Peanut got out and was "worked" for a bit. And at least Little Cowpoke did a little riding. Some time in the saddle is better than no time. I need to get on Peanut and ride him around for about a week and then I will feel better about my Cowpokes getting up on him. I just always think that cooler winter weather, plus horse, equals energy. But Peanut sure doesn't seem to follow that equation, and I am happy for that.

13 comments:

Gracie's Mom said...

I remember when my brother and I would want to ride our horses, it seemed like tacking up took FOREVER!! I always hated it! Which is probably why now I can groom my horse and have him completely saddled in about 12 minutes. We don't do a lot of fussing when we're getting ready--I try to save that for afterwards if I'm going to do it at all. Of course, during the winter months it would probably take me a week to get my horse saddled up, what with him being completely covered in mud and dirt and all the buckles and snaps on my gear being frozen closed!

Don't worry, Cowpoke will remember these rides in some manner, and he'll probably think he rode for hours, like I'm pretty sure I did! ;)

Unknown said...

Hmmm...

Yes i am with you completely brushing before riding is a good thing - I have it down to just a couple of minutes though and that includes some tail maintenance. I also brush when I am done riding - but it's more like a rub down for them and takes a little longer - also clean-out hooves. My boys love it.

When I was younger it used to take forever too - I don't know when it happened but I just kept getting faster and more efficient at it.

Grey Horse Matters said...

That's a lot of work for 8 minutes of riding. But like you said at least Peanut got out and little cowpoke had a good time.

Mrs. Mom said...

LOL Awww ANdrea!!! He is just tooooo cute up there on that good ol horse! You got a true treasure in Peanut girl. Give him a big rub from me please.

I had to laugh at the cooler weather comment at the end there. Youhave GREEN GRASS and Cowpoke is in SHORTS! Where is the COOL!? ;)

Hey- be sure to pop in at HorseFeathers-- your draft post is up!

Have an AWESOME day there girl, with those lovely babies of yours!

Unknown said...

Isn't that always the way.....
GREAT pictures!

ezra_pandora said...

lol!! Don't you just love the little kiddies and their attention spans. I would just be happy they are interested in riding at all. That makes me soooo happy when my little one WANT to ride. Heck, it takes 1/2 hour for ME to get ready to ride. My husband always yells at me that it's not spa treatment time. Brush and go, brush and go. I just can't do that. I ALWAYS have to brush her mane and tail (usually while waiting for her to expel her belly air so I can tighten the girth a little tighter).

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

The 'Peanut Ride" reminds me of standing in line at Disney World waiting to ride the "Dumbo Ride".

We literally waited 40 minutes just for a THREE minute ride!!

And then my twinlings said "Let's go again!"

gah!!!

~Lisa
aka~Rapunzle

gtyyup said...

You're such a good momma! All you can do is support their interest...and a lil' work is better than none at all for Peanut.

Really like the first pic with Peanut's right eye...really nice!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I wonder if when all your horses run up to the fence, they get jealous of Peanut being the Chosen One. My horses usually scatter and hope not to be picked, but once I pick another horse, they do get jealous and start pestering me to pay attention to them.

Pony Girl said...

I love getting my horse ready....except for trail rides! I just don't like the horses being tied to the trailer and all that stuff going on around us and it seems like we are always on a hurry to get ready and hit the trail. But at home, I could groom and dote on him forever. He's so good, too. He stands so well and I can really spend the time to groom him right.
I am excited Little Cowpoke wanted to ride, though. Even though it is a lot of effort for a short spin, I'm sure he had a great time and will remember that time you guys spent together. Just wait until he's big enough for the two of you to go riding together! ;)
I'm glad

kdwhorses said...

AWWW~a little cowpoke and his horse! Peanut is a treasure you all found! Give him lovings from us!

Anonymous said...

You're baby is barefoot! LOL Country kid for sure.

Rambling Woods said...

That was a lot of work for a short ride,,,but he looks so cute on Peanut..