Monday, September 15, 2008

Saturday Evening

Hurricane Ike hit us at about 2 in the morning. By 10 am there was just some wind. Then by 5 pm things calmed down to about 15 mph winds. With some gusts, but they were not bad. That is when Mr. Cowboy, his brother, my father in law, and Mr. William all headed to the barn to take down the flapping tin. Mr. William climbed right up on the roof and started to dismantle it. I don't think you could have caught me up there on the barn roof with no winds let alone gusty winds. I am very terrified of heights. Mr. Cowboy got up on his big ladder to help pry the screws out of the boards. Just look at him. Look how comfortable he is up there. I know that I can not climb a small step stool, so, I was no help on Saturday. Get after it, Mr. Cowboy. You are my hero. It didn't take the three guys long to get that tin unhooked. Then they all said, "Look out belooooowww!" That sure made kids and dogs scatter. The tin flew down to the ground. It made all sorts of noise. Bang, bang, BANG!! We had an audience watching our destruction. They stood watching and nibbling as the hammering went on and on. Then the tin fell. It kinda got their attention. Prince didn't seem to mind all the noise. He is a one and a half year old painted draft horse. His name is Prince or Goliath. Which ever you prefer. I like Prince. But that is just me. Prince is like a giant lap dog. He is so sweet. It's hard to believe he is only one and a half years old. Prince just wanted to be petted all over. He is a people horse. He likes people. Some horses don't like to be around people, but Prince does. Ozzie watched from a distance. Just look at that belly getting bigger. I am so proud of my little Ozzie for putting on some weight. But mean while on the roof.......Mr. Cowboy some how made it over there. Yikes!! He was trying to knock down rotten boards. Sounds nice and safe. Then there is Mr. Cowboy's brother. Hmmmm. Yeah....sometimes you must wonder about him. I think there was way too much testosterone on the roof. "I'm the King of the Crow Bar!!" Yeah, guys are defiantly strange. Then there is this one. I keep telling him the kids get their attitudes from him and he doesn't believe me. I just don't understand. Mean while back on the ground, I was trying to entertain Beaux. He is a big boy. Beaux is about a year old now. He is a lot of dog. My brother in law had a difficult time with him on the leash. I don't think I need a dog like that. I like nice and mellow. He sure is a pretty one though. I am not sure what is going on with his back. He has a dip in it right below his shoulder blades. Will that go away as he gets older? I really have no idea. I do not know much about large breed dogs. I stick to horses. Speaking of horses, they got board with us humans. Lady and Ozzie took off to the pasture. They decided that they were not going to be let in. Lady is the mare on the left. She is my husband's barrel horse. Well, she does it all but poles. She is really long and hasn't gotten the hang of poles really well. Lady was born here, in that there field. She now is 6 years old. She is a good mare. She has had two babies that were big just like her. But the sad thing is that Lady needs to find a new home. Lady has allergies and she needs to move up north. She is awesome here in the winter. But come the summer time she will cough and get all stuffy. She defiantly is allergic to something down here. And the strange thing is, she only started that last year. But she is my father in laws horse and he is going to try to sell her so she can have a better life. On my way out of the barn I saw Little Cowpoke's tracks. He has such tiny feet. Then as I was about to leave, the boys were at it again. I think he was trying to get Misty's ear to look like his facial hair. I am not really sure what is going on there. I don't think Misty really knows either. They were catching the donkey's so they could be de-wormed.
Misty did not think that getting her worming paste was fun. Not at all. But Mr. Cowboy had a good time. He is such a dork. He was just tall enough to stand over the donkey. There was actually a bit of air between the donkey and him. He is such a dork. I love the donkey's hair. I think it makes her look like a surfer donkey. Then on the way back to the house I snapped a picture of Joe. Joe has gotten so big lately. Good night Joe! Now that I have written about three posts in one. I think I can throw my hands up and call it done.

12 comments:

kdwhorses said...

Girl so glad to hear ya'll are safe and sound! Man Ike was a nasty hurricane, that seemed to leave a path of destruction!

Love the guys on the roof!!

Poor donkeys! LOL! lOve the pics!

Laura said...

Hey! Playgroup on Wednesday. Are you going to stand us up this week too? hehe

Laura said...

Hey! Playgroup on Wednesday. Are you going to stand us up this week too? hehe

Amanda said...

Did you take all the tin off the roof? Why didn't they just nail it back down instead of peeling it all off?

Amanda said...

Glad you were able to stay safe from Ike. I was glued to the TV while it was going down. Looks like the barn repair was more fun than work.

Danielle Michelle said...

You did too help! You archived it! We need more good, hard-working men out here!

I love the draft horse! I want a team to feed in the winter!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I could have used that crew on my barn roof-LOL. Glad you guys fared as well as you did.

Miri said...

So glad you came through the storm okay.

Thanks for stopping by farmsuite... home of a lot fewer grass bellies than swamp suburbia ;)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wonderful horse, dog, goat and donkey pics....and goofy man pics, too! hehe

Love that one with his tongue sticking out. What a great sense of humor he must have. hehe

~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
New Mexico

The Wades said...

That was quite the post! Great work. :) I cannot believe all the work that goes in before and after these hurricanes. Yuck!

Your horses are so pretty.

Glad you're safe. :)

Rambling Woods said...

First visit..I came from Amandas Veranda. You have such a lovely way with your writing and photos. I am glad that you are all OK from Ike. All we got up here in NY was some wind and rain...

Train Wreck said...

Oh I am thankful you are all ok!! The news coverage was awful!!
I love your tiny donkey!! Adorable!! Our "Tinkerbell is mean!!! She will bite and try and hit you with her front hooves!