Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Confidence

Ever since Ozzie got back from the trainer, I have been working on building my confidence. It's strange because I don't mind riding some horses, but other horses just get my hands sweaty. Ozzie is just one of those horses. He gets my hands sweaty just thinking about riding him and he gets my heart to beat a bit faster. Not as in "love" faster, but as in nerves. The trainer that had him did a lot of work with him. He finally got Ozzie to slow down and listen to the rider. Which was a big issue for me. That was really nerve wrecking when you are riding a horse that you know is just being nice because he wants to and will blow up if you ask him to do something that he doesn't want to do. I think Ozzie is a lot happier of a horse now. He actually understands what the rider wants. He is really smart too. A bit too smart. He tries to out think the rider. He tries to guess what comes next before I ask him to do it. I have had to change a lot of ways that I do things because they were just becoming habit for Ozzie. He would trot two circles in the round pen and then stop and look at me and start to change direction with out me even asking. He just knew that was going to come next. So, I have changed a lot of things that I do with him. The other day, I free jumped him. Just to see if he would like it. And that horse put all the try into jumping. I don't have an ideal set up for free jumping, so I just had a small cross rail with a ground pole set up in our round pen. Having the jump set up made Ozzie pay attention. He stayed steady with his pace and figured out a good departure spot and would jump. Some were better than others, but he did do a really good job. Even with his skinny little Thoroughbred butt. I can't wait to get the panels done in the arena and I can do some real free jumping with him. See what he can do. Ozzie really has the type of personality that wants to work. He just wants to do something. And I really hope that jumping will be his thing. In the meantime, I have been feeling better and better about riding him. I feel more in control and a lot more comfortable. Mr. Cowboy asked me if I was ready to ship him off to Houston to be sold, and I told him to give me a little more time with him. He really is a sweet boy and I want to make sure he knows his stuff before sending him off to someone else. Oh, and did anyone see my hideous half chaps. A while back my good friend ordered some just like mine but in black. They were all of 16 bucks on sale. They looked cool in black. So, when I went to order them they only had them in brown. I didn't think they would be too bad looking. But when I got them in, they were pretty funky. My friend and I made fun of them all the time. We loved how tacky they looked. We would joke about getting some pretty flowers embroidered on them. So, one day I went out and did this to them. Don't you just love it? But these lovely half chaps help me feel a bit more secure too. I am hoping with just a little more time Ozzie and I will be doing a lot better. And maybe we will even ride outside the round pen!!

16 comments:

Danielle Michelle said...

I want embroidered half chaps! lol really! I like them!

A for Ozzie - I'll get on anyone else's horses that are a little off but start to sweat when thinking about mine. Funny how that works...

Grey Horse Matters said...

I think it sounds like you and Ozzie are really developing a good relationship and it can only get better.
Love the embroidery, what a great idea, maybe you can start a little business doing that for people. It really looks great!

Unknown said...

I love my half chaps. I have some nice calfskin leather ones with fringe that are sadly too small :C

Both mine are brown too though my regular ones are suede.

Anonymous said...

He's the Ozzie to your Harriett.

He's beautiful.

Pony Girl said...

I actually like those half-chaps, they are cute!
It was fun to see a pic of you on Ozzie huntseat! You look great. He is really filling out. That is great news he liked jumping, and smart of you to give him a challenge and keep him thinking on his feet. I didn't know you were planning on selling him? Is there a big sale in Houston?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I thought you looked cute in your brown half chaps. They match your shirt and boots. If your hat was brown, too....you'd be perfectly coordinated...and cute to boot! lol

I'm glad you're building up your confidance with Ozzie, just be careful, ok? I also think it's great that you're giving him a job that he seems to like while stimulating his mind, too.

You look awesome up there doing hunt seat. I love it! Thanks for showing us your true riding passion. I had a hard time picturing riding anyway but Western.
And man, girl...you look amazing for having 3 kids! You go girl!

~Lisa

Train Wreck said...

Look at you! I have been gone for a bit and you are in the photos! You look great , good for you. time will only build your confidence. Keep it up.

Train Wreck said...

Look at you! I have been gone for a bit and you are in the photos! You look great , good for you. time will only build your confidence. Keep it up.

kdwhorses said...

Keep it up! You are doing great! You'll get your confidence back up on him!

Unknown said...

Ya know, I am not being mean...but when i first saw you in those half chaps I though about the leggings we all wore in the 80s - he he!

Melanie said...

Well look at you go girl!!! Ozzie certainly sounds like he has grown up a bit, and who knows?? Maybe he will be your next HUS horse...

I just finished catching up on your blog, and I cannot believe the legs on Pearl's baby. They are loooooong!!!! LOL!!! And that rolly, poly, pony stud??? Too funny!!! :)

Alex said...

you go girl! Sounds like you are off to a great start with this "new" Ozzie! kep up the good work- I love my 1/2 chaps, black ariat ones... but im an english snob so maybe it doesnt count...

The Wife said...

Doing awesome! Love the embroidered half chaps!

Margaret Cloud said...

It might take a while but you will do great. Ozzie sure is a beautiful horse.

Anonymous said...

i hear you totally about confidence.. i'm starting to make headway with my gazi/arabian too... your chaps... are your good luck charm!!

happy trails
gp

The Wades said...

You just went out and embroidered them??!! People do that?? On their own??? I'm so confused and in awe!

You two sure do look pretty together!