Sunday, May 24, 2009

Riding with Ms. Cathy

So, with us not having a rodeo to go to (see post below), we now had an open afternoon. We had all the kids packed in the truck, snacks, drinks in the cooler, and one Peanut horse in the horse trailer. My sister in law had told me that they were going for a riding lesson over at Ms. Cathy's house, so I called her to see if we could come ride in the lesson too. They were all so kind to let us come on over. We were about an hour and a half late to the lesson, but we still had about 40 minutes left to ride. We unloaded Peanut and saddled him in record time. I don't think Peanut even got a chance to realize he was at a new place. Big Cowpoke warmed Peanut up while his two cousins practiced the barrel pattern. I am really big on warming up horses. Nothing bothers me more than people who get on and just go run their horses around. But, I'll get off my box and back to the cute kids on their horses. Big Cowpoke's cousins just got two new horses, and let me tell ya, they are super cute!! This is Buzz. He is a 9 year old quarter horse and as fat as can be, but he is super wonderful! He has some bridling issues, but really, he is a gem. I mean, just look at that butt! He is a tank. I love stout stocky horses. Well, not for doing equitation, but for working cattle or roping, they are my kind of horse. Then there is this little guy. Gunner is his name, and barrel racing is his game. This little pony can boogie. And he rounds up so nice. And my niece loves riding him. They are still kinda getting to know each other, but once they get in a click, they are going to fly! I mean, just how stinken cute is that pony?! All the while, Big Cowpoke was still warming up Peanut. Have I told you all how much I love that little sorrel gelding? I do, I love him. Even though he loves Pearl and her filly and wants nothing to do with me. I can handle that. The little guy is just so good to my kids. I'll stop talking about how much I love Peanut. But I will go into how Big Cowpoke did while practicing his barrel pattern. He started out at a nice slow jog. You have to warm up your horse. Then, Peanut must bend around the barrel and head on over to the second barrel. Still doing okay. We need to work on sliding Big Cowpoke's hands down on the reins a bit more. Then on to the third barrel. Good spot kido! Now come home! A good warm up. Then it was time to pick it up a notch. Yeah, you did a good job! And did you see his legs? And to think, that kid said he wasn't flexible. Just look at that kicking action. Now if we could get a little of that in between the barrels we would be in business. I never realized just how high Big Cowpoke was kicking his legs until I saw these pictures. Well, after his faster runs, it was time to cool Peanut down. Peanut is really such a good boy. I think Peanut really likes Big Cowpoke. They get along really well. Peanut is the first horse that Big Cowpoke has really been able to ride real well. And you know Cowpokette had to ride too. So, Big Cowpoke walked Peanut around while I held on to her. She didn't want to get off. But she is WAY too little to be riding a horse. So, we just give her short pony rides. At the end of the lesson, Gunner was trying to give my niece a hard time about going round the first barrel, so Ms. Cathy got on him. That little horse can go! It looks like Ms. Cathy likes him too. She got him straighted out and they called it quits. So, with out a rodeo, the kids still had fun. And Ms. Cathy said that she was wanting to do a summer camp but didn't have enough kid horses. So, we offered her Peanut. With Big Cowpoke being gone this summer, Peanut will just be sitting in the pasture. So, it would be really good for him to be used by some beginner riders. Ms. Cathy got all excited. It's just for three weeks and only as a day camp. It will be good exercise for Peanut. And in return, we will get some credits for riding lessons. Everybody wins. So, I am glad we didn't have a rodeo and got to go out and ride with Ms. Cathy.

9 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Kids on horses is a pretty cute sight. I love those little saddles. Your guy was practically doing the splits on that horse.

Pony Girl said...

I loved seeing big cowpoke's legs going straight out! :) Oh, that Gunner is a doll! What kind of pony is he?? I'm glad Peanut found a summer job! Sounds like a win-win for you both.
I agree with you about warming horses up. I always walk and jog my horse out pretty well before asking him for any speed. It just warms and loosens up all those tendons. Humans warm up, horses should, too, right?

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Oh my gosh, that little Gunner is a cutie! He looks just like the POA I had as a kid(without the spots-LOL).

Nuthin' wrong with a little hoss-tradin'-LOL. Good for you that you got some lesson credits.

That big sorrel looks like ALL of my horses...a little on the round side in the belly department. Oh well, it's cheaper to take it off than it is to put it on!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow. Your boy looked like he was having fun on Peanut...and Peanut is the greatest horse for your kids...and for the kid's camp, too!

Send him my way, when everyone's done. I need me a Peanut! hehe!

~Lisa

The Caple Crew said...

That white horse is so awesome looking!
I loved his legs sticking straight out off the horse!

Midlife Mom said...

Great riding! He does look like he is almost doing a split! Yikes! I would break right in two at my age, nice to be young and flexible! :o) Love that Peanut horse! What a great horse, I wish I could find one just like him. That white pony is adorable too. Miss Cathy did look like she was having a great time on him. I totally agree with you on warming up the horses and cooling them down. It only makes sense doesn't it, that's what we as humans do. Great post!

kdwhorses said...

Sounds like a great time! Love the pics!
Savannah is all into the loping thing now~that's all she wants to do! I took a video of her at her last rodeo, just loping around! The smile on her face is priceless!
The vest and helmet are provided by the church, I think you can order them though. Have you checked with your tack store?

Melanie said...

Yep...it looks like a good time was had by all!!! And Gunner is just the cutest thing ever!!! I want him. :0

Rambling Woods said...

Wow..that is amazing...
Michelle From Rambling Woods