Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Line Driving

Holy Cow, I am pooped. I tried to ride Ozzie yesterday in a small pasture and he was a dork. A really big dork. The horse just doesn't get riding in straight lines. His entire life he has been ridden in either a round pen or a cutting pen. Which is just a big square round pen. Which in that seance it wouldn't be a round pen, it would be called a square pen. So, when I set up some ground poles to work Ozzie over he was a complete dork. Ozzie was a drunken sailor going over them. So, what does one do when one has a drunken sailor horse? Well, one would just buck up little cowgirl and put on her big girl panties and ride the hair off the horse, but I am not that cowgirl. I am a timid mommy of three that doesn't have a death wish. Or any broken bone wishes. Therefore, I derived a better and safer plan.

So, tonight, for an hour and a half, my fat self walked and ran behind Ozzie while we line drove all over our huge arena. He only tired to take off twice. I guess my body is a bit harder to drag than I thought. But after an hour, Ozzie finally decided to lay off my hands and to slow down his stinken trot. Which I was grateful for, because my rear end was tired. I am going to do this all week and then see if I can ride that monster in the arena. Okay, it might be a bit longer than a week, but I am determined to get him going in that arena. With out any freak outs and in straight lines over ground poles.

Oh, and because I can't have a post with out any pictures, the boys got a turtle a while back. He is a store bought turtle and a super great guy. The boys sure like him. I am indifferent. So, now I am going to go soak in the tub. My muscles are killing me from running around the arena for an hour and a half. Well, we didn't actually buy him, my sister in law bought him for her son, and now we have inherited him. He is way fun, if turtles can be fun. A great "Life Long Companion." I saw that written on a tortuous tank. Yeah, I would bet that the tortuous is a life long companion. But really, how much are turtles companions? Just wondering?

12 comments:

Trailboss said...

I have all of the turtles anyone would want in my pond. My husband is going to build a trap to thin them out. They are eating all of our fish!

TjandMark/AKA PearlandHawkeye said...

We have a bew 'hired' hand, who is 16 and just recently released his lifelong companion in a friend's pond. They got it on film, it was touching. sigh, sob. LOL. Cute visual of you running around behind Ozzie. My Buddy is still a druken sailor too. It cracks me us, but I don't really mind because he is just a trail horse and we stay on the trail most of the time!!!

Dusty Devoe said...

Doesn't it make you wonder why they can be such stinkers! Good luck.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Running behind Ozzie doesn't sound like much fun, but then again on the bright side, look how fit you will both be soon.
Turtles are not my thing, not too cuddly I wouldn't think. But boys do love them.

Unknown said...

If I ever get my SD card back from my friend I'll post this humorous sign near my house of a "turtle crossing" which affectionately has car tire tracks across the turtle on the sign.

gwen said...

Brad's grandma had a turtle like that in her basement for like 30 years. Everyday she tossed a slice of bread down to him. Sounds far-fetched but it's true. When she had to go to a nursing home and sell the house, it was in the contract that the new owners would feed and care for the turtle! So, hope your committed! haha

Danielle Michelle said...

Well at least he doesn't chew up your shoes and underware!

Good luck with Ozzie. I am attempting to make a BIG purchase that is going to make a BIG difference in my horse training here hopefully! Stay tuned...

Melanie said...

Turtles, while cute, are not my idea of a lifelong pet...lol!!!

Kudos to you for doing all this work with Ozzie. What has happened to us in our old age?? Gone is that tough and carefree cowgirl, eh??? LOL!!!

Pony Girl said...

I think the ground work sounds great....just think, you'll be in that much better shape! Hopefully that will help the Ozzter figure out the open space of the arena.
Cute turtle...I bet the kids are enjoying it. What's it's name?

Callie said...

Hope your plan works before you get totally pooped out, and I'm not sure about a turtle, but I doknow they live a very long time!

Unknown said...

Aww you know - some people are into them. Like fish - I wonder exactly how close one can get to a turtle but my brother totally loves his fish and I used to have some that I liked watching, but I really don't think they liked me back.....ya know? So I am with ya.

Good job with Ozzie - exactly what he needed.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sounds "tortuous" to have a tortoise as a lifelong companion, actually. lol!

I will admit that I enjoy watching the Red Eared sliders at the museum. They swim around and have such cute expressions.
But I've never had the urge to have one as a pet.
Also tell the kids to be sure they always wash their hands after handling them. Turtles carry salmonella.

~Lisa