Monday, May 19, 2008

Good Bye Macaroni

About a week ago I had received a phone call about my yearling stud colt that I had for sale. It was a very young sounding girl who insisted that she was in love with my colt and she insisted on buying him. She asked about the price to verify it and then told me that she was going to come to my house and buy him. It was a very strange phone call. When we hung up I had a strange feeling. She did not ask the normal "horse buying" questions. She just said how much she loved him, just by looking at the picture, and how much he was going to cost her, and when could she come and get him. Then about 10 minutes later she called me back and asked about his pedigree and if she could ride him (uhm no he is a year old!!). But she was very excited and declared that she would be here on Sunday.

Sunday came and so did she, her husband, and her father. They pulled up to our barn in a mini van pulling a "trailer" of some kind. To me it looked like one of those goat trailers that 4-H kids would put their goats or sheep in for a show. It was strange. But they were nice and they were so excited about buying my yearling. I called the horses in and when they all came running in came Mac. He is the sweet yearling colt that is for sale. He went to his feed bucket and stood like an angel. I caught him and tied him up and noticed that he had a huge cut on his back leg. It went from his hock (like his knee in the back) down the side of his leg and stopped 2 inches above the ankle. It was about 1.5 inches wide and bleeding. Nice! Who now is going to buy Mac with a huge cut on his leg. I hosed him off and put some medicine on the cut and gave Mac some butte (Advil for horses). It was amazing, the girl still wanted the horse.


As she started talking to me, I realized just how horse dumb they were. They were going to put him in a 1 acre pasture with four goats. They figured he would have enough grass. I told them that they better keep up on a good de-worming schedule and in the winter they would need to buy a round bale of hay. I wrote it all down for them. Then the girl started asking me how to "break" him. Oh dear, he is still a baby. I told her that I don't even think about saddling then until they are two. I showed her his full brother who is 3 years old. I told her that I have only ridden him 6 times. So, I hope she got the picture. Despite her lack of horse knowledge they were very nice people. The husband spent the entire time petting Mac and taking pictures of Mac's mother. Mac loves to be rubbed and he was falling asleep. I have a funny feeling when ever I sell a baby horse to people who just don't really know a lot, but they were big animal lovers. And the girl has a lot of friends who ride a lot. I hope they help her out. I gave her my number and email address so she could contact me anytime she had a question. It's just so sad to see one of my babies go. Big Cowpoke named him Mac. After the Mac truck on the movie "Cars". His registered name is Ima Dlux Mac Daddy. I thought that was so clever!


But good luck to Mac and I hope he is enjoying his new home with the goats. I will leave you with some pictures of my little Mac. He wasn't the most beautiful boy, but he was really the sweetest. You could do anything to him. He just wanted attention. I hope he gets lots of love from his new Mom and Dad.



This is Mac, aka Macaroni, at 5 months old. He is such a cutie, well I thought so.

He was always so interested in what I was doing. He was so easy to halter break, brush, and pick up his feet. He is such a sweetheart.

Here he is at about 10 months old. He was all hairy from his winter coat. He was the type of horse where you could walk out into the pasture and he would walk up to you so you could pet him. Little Macaroni I will miss you, but I hope you have a good new home and are spoiled like crazy!

*Oh and sorry about the scrunchy paragraphs, I double space but for some reason when I drag and drop photos it makes my paragraphs all scrunched up. I will try to fix it later. I do not know how to go back and fix it after I have dragged a photo. Sorry!*

6 comments:

Beth from the Funny Farm said...

He is a cutie!

Amanda said...

Bye Mac!! That girl will love him to pieces, don't worry. She'll figure it all out. As long as she loves him it'll all be okay.

Karen said...

Beautiful little guy! Hope he got a good home - I worry, too, about my animals. I have a filly for sale now that I'm being so particular with. I'd rather keep her around than go to a bad home.

Pony Girl said...

I am sure the girl has a lot to learn, but it appears that she has some horsey people in her life to help her with Mac. I knew nothing as a young girl and really did well with all my ponies, except for one, but I think he was just poorly dispositioned to begin with. Did you give them your number in case they had any questions?
Oh- I always have double spacing issues when I drop in photos, too. It'll be the death of me, I swear! It drives me batty! ;)

kdwhorses said...

He is a cutie!

Callie said...

He is a cutie, I hope he went to a good home and they don't do anything like try and ride him now. Good grief!, alarm bells are going off here. Thankfully you gave them your contact numbers and hopefully they'll keep in touch with and ask advice!