Tuesday, August 5, 2008

One Last Visit

My sister and her family have come to my house for one last time. You see, her military husband is now out. Out of the military that is. So, she is taking this new found freedom and moving far away from the heat and humidity. I am slightly jealous. I wish I did not live in such a humid state. But come the winter time, I will be the one doing all the laughing. I do not miss the snow at all. But I will miss our visits. I will miss our attempts at cooking a Thanksgiving meal. The cakes that she cooks while at my house. I will miss spoiling her children. And I will miss singing and playing the piano when the lights go out and pretending we are in a Jane Austen book. I will miss the fact that my children actually know one of their Aunts and Uncles and their cousins. I live so far away from everyone else that my kids don't really get to see their Uncle and four Aunts, plus all their children. I will miss our late night chats and our Blue Bell Ice Cream Additions. Well, I will still have that one, but I will now be a BBICA all by myself. If you do not know what Blue Bell Ice Cream is, you are missing out on the best dang ice cream ever. But most of all I will miss times like these.

So, there is no convincing you to stay in the south? None?? Please, pretty please with a cherry on top? I will never ask for anything ever again! Well, until tomorrow.

9 comments:

TjandMark/AKA PearlandHawkeye said...

I feel sad for you :-(. Tj

Beth said...

I understand your feelings. I live WAY, WAY away from both sides of our family too. I have really felt like a single mom so much of our 20 years of marriage because my husband travels so much for his job. **sigh**

I always think how nice it would be if my sister could be my neighbor...

Amanda said...

Is this your sister who is moving to WA? I am here in Wa from La. I miss my family so much I cry sometimes but I absolutely can't take the heat and humidity down there. I have to be kept refridgerated or I disintegrate like a bowl of Blue Bell left in the sun, and yes indeedy I miss that too.

Wendy said...

Awww... I'm so sorry. I don't even know what it's like to have a sister. All I have is two stinkin' little brothers.

Mrs. Mom said...

I hear you Andrea--- my family of Tundra dwellers has been here to the Southland once. And I miss them so much it hurts.

Lucky for me now, Baby Brother drives truck, so he stops when he gets a route near by. But the rest?... *sigh*

I'll join you though, in laughing, when they all complain about the snow, cold, ice, shoveling, plow truck breaking down, raods closed... ;)

Amanda said...

You won't hear me whining about the cold, I promise you that. I just want out of this heat and humidity. We will miss visiting you for sure, though. But thank goodness for Google Talk!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awww, her singing melted my heart. I used to sing that song to my daugther when she was a baby. Dumbo is one of my most favorite movies because of that song. :)

I'm sorry your sis is leaving. Sounds like she is one special lady.

(hugs)

kdwhorses said...

I hear ya on family being far away! My sister lives in GA and we see each other normally every couple of years or so. I wish she lived closer so we could see each other more, our kids love playing and visiting!

The Wades said...

that brought little tears to my eyes! my sissy and bro both live too far away! not fun. I hope you get to visit often.