Monday, December 1, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside

After Thanksgiving the weather has gotten a bit cooler. Now, the mornings are in the 40's. That might now sound cold but that is chilly compared to 70. Even the animals notice the chilled weather. Friday morning Ozzie was playing with Prince. Prince is my father in laws draft horse. Prince is about 19 months old. He is a beast. But a sweet beast. Prince is a lot larger than Ozzie. So, Ozzie has to let Prince know who's boss. Ozzie was pushing him away. Ozzie learned a lot in the round pen, move Prince out! When ever prince would turn around and face him, Ozzie would rear. I wish I had taken a picture of them rearing. Then they would play death defying games, by running like mad men around the arena posts. Just a slow canter. And then all of a sudden. Full speed ahead. Ozzie sure showed that big foot some real speed. They took off down the return ally and then around the pond. Ozzie was slowing a bit around the pond, but nothing stopped big old Prince. Prince took a short cut in front of the pond. And what happens when two rowdy boys start running around like crazy? All the mares have to run around like crazy too. It had down poured the night before and you can see all the water splashing up.Madonna is almost 2, and she was a bit more reserved than those crazy boys. She followed in at a trot. It's so fun to watch the horses get frisky in the cold. Now riding one of those frisky critters is a whole different story.

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Try convincing people up here in the north that it is cold down there!! I tell them all the time it is the coldest cold there is but they do not believe me. I always say when it is 99% humidity and it is 40 degrees you feel like you are swimming in ice cold water.BRRRR Louisiana is the coldest feeling place on earth in the winter.

Callie said...

Oh they always crack me up when they get to their play antics! Too funny! And BTW, we're a lot colder up here, LOL!

Grey Horse Matters said...

They look like they are having a blast. I'm sorry I don't feel sorry for your cold snap, we are freezing up here.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Nice pictures, I love seeing horses romp around when it gets chilly.
I would love to have your temps here.

Karen said...

I love when the horses get spunky in cooler weather - how fun!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Now when your water freezes and its down to 20 degrees, then you are allowed to complain about it being cold! lol!

I love that photo of all 3 horses running with the water splashing up. Beautiful!

~Lisa
New Mexico

kdwhorses said...

I could watch horses forever! I sometimes find myself just standing at the gate watching! Great therapy I tell ya!

It is cooler here and been windy!

The Wades said...

I love to watch horses run having fun! You guys sure do have a beautiful place.