Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ebenezer Scrooge

Yesterday a good friend of mine stopped by my house. It was a great surprise. I don't ever get anyone who just "stops" by my house. We really are not on the way to anything, so to get any visitors, it's a treat. I invited her in and we talked for a while. Then she asked me, "Where are your Christmas Decorations? I don't see a one!" I just shrugged. Then she said, "You are the biggest Scrooge, you better go and get a tree!" She knew that last year we put up a tree the day before Christmas and it was only three feet tall. I didn't do any decorations or stockings. I was a Scrooge. But do not think that I am all that horrible, because we took a trip to my parents' house, and they had all the decorations. But this year we are not traveling anywhere. So, I can not be a Scrooge any more. So, no more waiting, here is our Christmas tree adventure. We hit up our local Home Depot store. We needed to get a gift so we figured while in Rome.......We packed the Cowpokes all snug in a race car. It kind of looks like a sleigh. And no that is not Tony Stewart driving, that is Mr. Cowboy. That picture is worth a 1000 words. It really shows how my life is. Mr. Cowboy with the blank stare as if he has no idea to what is going on. Big Cowpoke with the look of, "Awh Ha! I have a great idea!" Little Cowpoke with the "let's go" crazy look. And my sweet angel girl with the "I'm innocent" look. Sigh. I love that bunch. And they were off. Mr. Cowboy was in the lead! Well, he was actually trying to avoid his embarrassing wife because she was taking pictures in the Home Depot parking lot. Men!! But we soon found the Christmas trees. Here was Mr. Cowboy's first pick. It was huge. I loved it. I would have fit really nicely in our living room. But then I told him about stringing up lights and decorating, and how I didn't want to have to climb all over the dang tree. So, we put that one back. Then we found this little gem. It was perfect! And the last 8 foot tree, so I guess it had to be perfect. I could not believe the prices of trees this year. I guess the price of shipping them inflated the cost of trees. Big Cowpoke loved the tree. He gave it big bear hugs. Mr. Cowboy was not hugging the tree but trying to move it to the check out. But there was a bear stuck on the other side. When we were checking out, I told the lady to make sure there weren't any squirrels in our tree. She just looked up at me all sorts of confused. I then started to laugh and I had to tell her I was joking. Man, where do they get these workers from, no sense of humor! Well, we loaded up the tree into the truck and headed home. Cowpokette was upset because the tree was laying down. She is so emotional! But never fear, Cowpokette, Mr. Cowboy is near!Mr. Cowboy started cutting and pulling and he took all the plastic mesh off the tree. Then he went to get the heavy machinery. Because you need that kind of stuff to put up a tree. Mean while, Cowpokette was.......Yep, still crying. The poor dear. And that shirt is wet from drool. She is cutting all four of her eye teeth. Merry Christmas to her. Mr. Cowboy jumps at the chance to use his power tools. He went to cutting and snipping off branches. Then, finally we got the tree up. It looks really good. But do you think I got a picture of it? Nope, I didn't. Sorry. I will take a final picture of it before we start to decorate it tonight. So, so long Scrooge!! Move on over, Mrs. Christmas is here!!

13 comments:

Laura said...

You crack me up. Cowpokette is totally precious, with her tears!! And we were just gifted with all four of those very teeth simultaneously, and it made for a horrible couple of weeks. I feel for you!

P.S. Playgroup tomorrow is at the church--I bought a craft kit yesterday so now I've spent money on it and feel obligated to go! LOL Hope yall can make it!

Rambling Woods said...

LOL..I love your blog..I won't be putting up a tree and now I remember why..LOL..Your new website looks wonderful and I hope it helps your business...

Wendy said...

Only a tabletop tree for us this year. I don't feel bad about it one little bit!!!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Looks like a nice tree. Can't wait to see it all decorated.

kdwhorses said...

LOL! You are not alone! I didn't start putting up a tree, until 2 years ago and it is about a 5 ft artifical tree! Always did stockings, but never a tree until little cowgirl was in school!

Love the looks! Priceless! Poor Cowpokette!

Karen said...

You know he totally wanted that bigger tree so that he could use his power tools to take even more off. Men are like that.

Anonymous said...

Oh the second picture of cowpokette makes me want to race right over and pick her up. Poor thing.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Yep, I am right there with ya...I gotta get my tree up too. But since we are going to Colorado for Christmas, I am not going to get carried away with outside deco and stuff.

Danielle Michelle said...

I'm so jealous. No tree for me this year...sigh. No cookie baking or cards wither, though perhaps maybe New Years cards will be made.

Keep taking pics so I can live vicareously through you!

Melanie said...

Ok...I'm in school and I had my tree and decorations up the Sunday after Christmas...lol!!!

Decorating takes a long time, doesn't it??

PS-I like your new website! It looks good. :)

Izzy said...

I vote for the big tree. Bigger is better. Of course this year ours is a small table top but that's another story. One year my sil's father got one so big it wouldn't fit in his house, he wound up chopping off several feet.... off the TOP. Looked so funny, like it was going thru the ceiling. Glad you got one.

The Wades said...

At Home Depot? Man, I wish you lived closer. You could have played in the gingerbread house, sat with Santa, etc. :) I think your tree looks beautiful. Being a tree seller, I'm curious how much a tree like that costs there. (Yep, terribly nosy!)

Love ya, girl. :)

Julene said...

I want to know where you don't take your camera. You make me feel so bad about taking pics of my kids. That home depot cart pic had me laughing. Their faces are so perfect to their personalities. LOL!