Sunday, December 14, 2008

Holiday Suckers

No I am not talking about those two guys, but what Mr. Cowboy is making. He is a lolly pop making fool. When he was in High School Rodeo, he made it to the Nationals in Colorado. His family didn't have a lot of money so they were not going to be able to make the trip. But Mr. Cowboy wanted to go. So, he and his mother started to make and sell suckers. They sold enough suckers to get to the Nationals, and they took 3000 suckers with them. Mr. Cowboy said he made about 1500 dollars at Nationals selling suckers. That was back in the day when they sold the suckers for .50 cents. Now, we just make them and give them away as Christmas gifts. Mr. Cowboy didn't want me to post pictures of his candy making methods, but he doesn't scare me. He doesn't have anything to worry about. No secrets can leak here, because I really have no idea how to make the suckers. So, his secrets are safe with me. He boils some water and some other stuff in a pot. Then he adds flavor and color and pours the finished product into his molds. He has a wonderful system. And he can make a ton of suckers in a short period of time. He makes half batches and makes plenty for us to giveaway. He makes all sorts of flavors. There is root beer, strawberry, pina coloda, cotton candy, bubble gum, hot cinnamon, sour cherry, sour green apple, french vanilla, banana cream, strawberry daiquiri, and lots more. That one is hot cinnamon. It's way to hot for me. It's like one of those atomic fire balls. But they are really pretty. His suckers come in many different shapes and sizes. I like the hearts. These are cotton candy suckers. The half brown and half aqua sucker is root beer/cotton candy with sour stuff in the middle. Normally Mr. Cowboy does the sour stuff with the hot cinnamon and I can't try them. But this time, it's all mine!! I love sour. It's a lot of fun to watch him make the suckers. And it's rewarding too, because we get to keep some of them. We really can only make the suckers in the fall and winter time because in the summer all the sugar and stuff melts. Good old hot sticky summers. So, there is a plus to the winter, we get suckers!!!

And don't forget about my Toffee Giveaway!! We still have a few more spots open for people to recieve some free toffee!!! Thank you to those who have already helped us out. Your toffee is on the way!!

14 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

And he can make candy too...wow..

Bella In The Bayou said...

I made suckers years ago but nothing so fancy as what Mr Cowboy does. Gosh, if I could make that kind of money I just might stay in the kitchen ;) Is that an extra piece of left over granite that he pours them on?

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Wow, that is so neat. You have one very handy guy

Anonymous said...

Those are cute and what fun. Cotton Candy would be my choice. What is it about men cooking that is just darn right sexy!

Train Wreck said...

SUckers! I remember! We used to make those when we were kids too. Look at your little "factory" Assembly line and all! I'll bet your friends and family love you. Thanks for stopping by while I was away, I read everyones comments either on my phone or when I got a chance to get on line. ((Hugs))

kdwhorses said...

Man how neat! Looks great!

Danielle Michelle said...

Yum! I want some! Sour is my fav too!!!

I just found your toffee givaway! I hope I wasn't too late but I sent it on!

Carolina girl said...

Wow! I'm impressed with his skills, and that he's not afraid to get in the kitchen and use those skills! And, now I want a sucker.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow! Lucky you...with a handsome man that knows his way around the kitchen!
And he makes....candy!!

Are you melting or what?

~Lisa
New Mexico

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Mmmmmm! looks good! My specialties are peanut brittle and fudge. My family and friends love it! I have to keep making new batches all the time until my elbow gets sore every year.

The Wades said...

What a crazy fellow, that Mr. Cowboy. One day he's wrestling alligators and snakes and the next he's sweetly making suckers. I think he's a keeper! :) Happy holidays to all of you.

Beth said...

I'm drooling and I'm THINKING which is always dangerous! LOL I think you need to have a SUCKER GIVAWAY here! Wow. Those look awesome!

Plowing and Sowing said...

Cool story. They look good.

Gayla said...

How cool! BTW I love your granite.:)