Saturday, December 27, 2008

My New Camera

For Christmas I got a new camera! I have been drooling over all of the digital SLR cameras. I have a small obsession with photography. I am by no means a pro, far from it actually. But I am willing to learn all sorts of new things. And now I can, with my Nikon D40. I took it with me to Mr. Cowboy's Grandma's house on Christmas. The poor folks there were my guinea pigs. They were all great sports about me sticking my new toy in their faces. I didn't hear a single complaint. This was my very first shot with my new camera. I told Mr. Cowboy that it looks like Grandma T has a halo around her head. I really have no idea what I am doing. I am sure there are settings so that the light wouldn't have been so bright, but I have not gotten that far yet. This is just turning the camera on and using the auto button. Cowpokette is always a great sport about having her picture taken. She is a ball full of laughter. I love it when she scrunches her nose up like that. She is a wonderful model. And do you see her "bling". She found that gold necklace in one of my old jewelry boxes and insisted that she wore it. She wore it all day long. She is so girly. Little Cowpoke then took his sister for a spin on the little kid's swing. It's so much fun to spin out of control in super fast circles. It's even more fun to spin out of control while looking up! That is the best part. A few months ago, Little Cowpoke spun so much and so fast that he threw up after he got off the swing! They weren't that crazy on Christmas. Little Cowpoke was sweet and didn't go too fast with is sister. After some fun swinging, Aunt Gertrude blew up some balloons for the kids. Aunt Gertrude normally does not like her picture to be taken, but I got in one anyway. She is the sweetest lady ever. And she loves her grandkids and her nephews. Little Cowpoke was so impressed with Aunt Gertrude's balloon blowing skills. Check out that cool balloon. While the kids played with balloons, Grandma T made some coffee and we sat around listening to Uncle Kenneth tell old war stories. Isn't that great! He looks like one of those old men that sit around telling old war stories. I love it. But he insisted I take a picture with out a cigarette and with his hat up so I could see his face. There we go. I don't know if you all can see it or not. But Uncle Kenneth and Little Cowpoke look a lot a like. They have the same eyes and nose. And shape head. It amazes me how much generations can look like other generations. Mr. Cowboy looks exactly like his Mom's side of the family. And Mr. Cowboy's children all look like his Dad's side of the family. It's really interesting. Grandma T is Uncle Kenneth's oldest sister. She too has the same eyes and nose. And nothing completes a Christmas dinner than a warm cup of coffee. Well, at least for them. The only thing that completes my Christmas dinner is a piece of warm apple pie! YUM! Which Mr. Cowboy made all by himself. I am beginning to think that Mr. Cowboy's family doesn't like my cooking. I brought mashed potatoes again, made less, and still brought home left overs. Then only one person ate a piece of apple pie? I just don't get it. They all eat "cream cheese pie". Which is different than cheese cake. But anyway, I kind of got off the subject of my new toy! I am very excited about it. Yesterday I went out and worked two horses and took some pictures. They weren't the best pictures. So, today I am going to try it again. I love my new camera!

18 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Nice photos

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Nothing makes me happier than to hear that a blogger got a new camera as a gift. Your camera did make everyone look like angels... or maybe you just have a family full of angels?

Grey Horse Matters said...

Beautiful photos of beautiful Christmas children.

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I love the little girl's FEET! Her chubby little ankles and toes are precious.

I really liked all the pictures (such beautiful subjects with equally beautiful eyes!) but I have a special place in my heart for the old guys and I like that one best (with the ciggy hangin out).

Rambling Woods said...

You are having fun with that camera...Cream cheese pie? Hmm..never heard of that. The apple pie would be eaten in short order here. Why don't they like the mashed potatoes? Is there another way of making them that they would like better? I know that my daughter got used to a whole new way of eating living on Oklahoma. She even tried calve fries...

Callie said...

Great family photos! A A belated very Merry Christmas to you and all of yours!

Laura said...

I am coveting your camera.

cdncowgirl said...

Okay I still have to play catch up on your blog, but I wanted to say that you ROCK.
I saw your comment over at Steph's (School of Life...) about 80's movies and you are one of the very few people who know "Better Off Dead". I love that movie! :)
(and I soooo want a '68 Camaro SS lol)

Amanda said...

Congrats on the new camera!! Love the photos.

2 LMZ FARMS said...

So glad that you found me. And yes, it's great to have found a Southern blogger!!!! I have just spent over an hour going thru all your posts. What a beautiful family you have. Your children are just too precious. Thank you for the comments on my blog. I know I will be back to visit, gonna mark your blog. Hope you and yours have a wonderful and blessed day.
I was wondering exactly where ya'll live. I have family scattered all over your state.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, your photo's are gorgeous! Particularly for just getting to know the camera. I loved your Christmas post to fun. I didn't get to comment for my internet was giving me fits. Enjoy the Holidays!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Congrats on the new camera, Andrea. I'm very happy for you.
But with those gorgeous kids of yours, you could take a photo with an old fashioned box camera and a sheet and have them turn out stellar.

~Hugs,
Lisa

The Caple Crew said...

oh my goodness i am totally jealous! I have wanted a nice camera FOREVER! Hey we should take some photography classes! Ooo YAY! Are ya feeling any better?

The Wades said...

I read this post yesterday, but I forgot to comment and tell you how fantastic and beautiful I think these pictures are! There's no stopping you now.

kdwhorses said...

WOW~what a great new camera! Congrats!

Sounds and looks like you all had a great Christmas!

Pony Girl said...

What a fun gift! I'm dying for a new camera, too! I really like the pics of the kids. Cowpokette is getting so big! She's such a doll!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new Nikon!! I am a Nikon gal myself. Keep learning :)
Adorable kiddos.

Al said...

Okay, my first efforts with the camera did NOT produce results like that! What is your secret???